All I want to read right now is high school AU fic of the opera Turandot where Princess Turandot is the captain of the undefeated quiz bowl team and the unnamed prince is a transfer student who wants to take her to Homecoming. But Turandot makes all potential dates answer three riddles, and if they answer wrong, her second in command (AKA “The Executioner”) will tape them naked to the flagpole.
Liu can be an office aid who showed the prince around on his first day, and the wise men can be members of the AV club.
Puccini is the quiz bowl faculty supervisor. He dies midway through the third act, and his replacement inspires the quiz bowl team to stop taking everything so seriously and go get laid or something.
This is the worst idea.
- PASSING MY THESIS DEFENSE AND GETTING READY TO GRADUATE WITH MY MFA IN WRITING
- signing the lease on my new apartment (moving in June)
- biting my nails through the radio silence with my coloring book agent while I have a project on submission to publishers
- debating whether the sound my anxiety makes is an AAAAAAAAAAAAA or more of a a high-pitched mosquitoish EEEEEEEEEEEEE
- doing research and writing a synopsis for my thesis novel so I can shop that around to other agents who represent novels
- querying said agents and biting off fingernails again (ow)
- totally slacking off at my day job and then winning an award for outstanding service because I guess if you’re a student worker in tech support for 8+ years and don’t murder anybody they think you deserve a certificate I CAN’T EVEN TELL IF I’M BEING SARCASTIC
- having my first ever gallery show with my comic collective
- dealing with family drama, housing drama, and living over a construction zone
- prepping for upcoming conventions
- staring at this gif of Matt Bomer blinking because it’s weirdly calming
- and Matt Bomer Gif is all “I’m extremely pretty and invested in whatever you have to say” and I’m like “but Matt Bomer Gif, I have nothing to say, I revised a 450-page manuscript 6 times in 9 months and then then all this life stuff happened, all my words are gone” and Matt Bomer Gif is like “It’s okay, we can just sit here in comfortable silence while I gaze at your radiance and don’t comment on the ketchup on your collar.”
- trying to write fic and failing because all I want to write is the sequel to my thesis novel and don’t do that, Theo, it’ll just stress you out unless the first book sells
- lying in bed paralyzed with indecision and wishing I could just go hole up in a hotel away from everything for a week
tl;dr: everything is bananas and I miss fandom
OHMYGOD A PODFIC READER RECORDED MY AVENGERS FIC AND IT’S LOVELY AND I LOVE IT AND AAAAAAAA
I’m four days from my graduate thesis defense and a bit of a nervous wreck, and this just made me SO HAPPY.
Sign up (it’s free! - it costs money for a badge, but you can sign up at the link to see the programming options for free) and just take a long gander at all the programming options on display. It’s so beautiful I might cry.
From cross-generational fandom and feminism discussions to in-depth single-fandom analyses and writing tracks and awesome author readings and a whole metric fuck ton ton of panels on race, gender (including a bunch of trans* panels!), sexual/romantic orientations, politics, and the con even has carefully-planned accessibility options for pretty much the whole spectrum of needs, including safe spaces for PoC, quiet rooms for introverts, and gender-neutral bathrooms.
IT’S TUMBLR/SJ FANDOM CATNIP, IS WHAT I’M SAYING. COME ON, YA’LL.
I’ve signed up for a few panels, too, including “Queering the Text - the infinite possibilities of slash and other forms of fanfic,” “How and why we use Tumblr,” “Nerd Going Mainstream,” & I’ve requested space in the art show.
Plus, I live locally, so if you need a line on cheap/free places to crash, hit me up. You can also get a partial membership refund for volunteering.
If you’ve ever liked any of my metaposts - if metafandom &/or intersectional feminism/fandom is your wheelhouse, I cannot rec this con enough.
This is your entry point. Right now. That link up top.
[Also, please signal boost this if you have a moment.]
Seriously, WisCon is wonderful and you should consider going if you aren’t already.
More bee!Sherlock, because why not.
(After the second time he got stuck in a mason jar, the texts got shortened to SIMJPHA.)
Joan Watson sketches, with bonus bee!Sherlock for some reason.