I’ve seem to be hitting writer’s block far too often now. My grade in my creative writing class is suffering because i don’t turn in anything because i’m never really satisfied with anything i do. all my good ideas seem to turn into bad ones once i write it down. How do you get pass writers block?
You turn off your inner critic. You do not listen to your inner police force. You ignore the little voices that tell you that it’s all stupid, and you keep going.
Your grade isn’t suffering because your writing is bad, it’s suffering because you aren’t finishing things and handing them in.
So, finish them and hand them in. Even if a story’s lousy, you’ll learn something from it that will be useful as a writer, even if it’s just “don’t do that again”.
You’re always going to be dissatisfied with what you write. That’s part of being human. In our heads, stories are perfect, flawless, glittering, magical. Then we start to put them down on paper, one unsatisfactory word at a time. And each time our inner critics tell us that it’s a rotten idea and we should abandon it.
If you’re going to write, ignore your inner critic, while you’re writing. Do whatever you can to finish. Know that anything can be fixed later.
Remember: you don’t have to brilliant when you start out. You just have to write. Every story you finish puts you closer to being a writer, and makes you a better writer.
Blaming “Writer’s Block” is wonderful. It removes any responsibility from the person with the “block”. It gives you something to blame, and it sounds fancy.
But it’s probably more honest to think of it as a combination of laziness, perfectionism and Getting Stuck. If you’re being lazy, don’t be. If you’re being a perfectionist, don’t be. And if you’re stuck, figure out where the story went off the rails, or what you got wrong, or where you need to go deeper, or what you need to add to make it work, and then start writing again.
- freyka-art likes this
- fallenann reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- hurl reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- snuggeries reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- izumi161 reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- izumi161 likes this
- cosmicarena reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- thegodsbelow reblogged this from misterlutece
- hellkite likes this
- cloudy-saturdays reblogged this from rpedia
- beckyjbro likes this
- baa-baa-block-sheep reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- baa-baa-block-sheep likes this
- dhaarijmens reblogged this from caramelcheese
- caramelcheese reblogged this from artist-advice
- scarletinspiration reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- pimpdaddy-castiel likes this
- trenchcoatandhalo likes this
- holycheeseonacracker likes this
- nova-arcania likes this
- nova-arcania reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- wind-up-cas-chronicle likes this
- lobitomccaall likes this
- inspired-speckley reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- magic-fish reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- eleganceandembers likes this
- samm-mich reblogged this from singingcookie
- derptastical reblogged this from artist-advice
- shiyaxyuri reblogged this from amazinglyartisticadvice
- shiyaxyuri likes this
- lanceprestons likes this
- heireau likes this
- holydrone reblogged this from overschot
- xannatos reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- letyoursoulburn likes this
- shadowschemer6 reblogged this from neil-gaiman and added:
- sinertava likes this
- solsticesoulrunning likes this
- toongal likes this
- ryukuza reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- cinemaestemporaneo likes this
- matthewdavidbrown reblogged this from matthewdavidbrown
- booksandbbc reblogged this from neil-gaiman
- booksandbbc likes this
- fictionalized likes this
- brassbadger likes this
- bluekraken likes this